Tuesday, July 28, 2015

I Can Write About This Later

This past weekend I accomplished another item on my Summer Bucket List. (I'm moving pretty fast, huh?!)

The weather was absolutely amazing for a beach day, and I loved it. Though I didn't set foot in the water.

Why, you ask?

Last year I had to be rescued by a lifeguard. At the best of times I'm not a strong--if even decent--swimmer, and the water was rough. Credit to my dad who was on his way to rescue me when the lifeguard intervened (I know you're reading this!).

Still, the event was internally traumatizing. Then and there I vowed I'd never venture into the ocean deeper than my ankles.

On the plus side, my lifeguard rescue led to the birth of THESE WICKED WATERS. Of course, I didn't start penning TWW until February when it was cold and dreary and very un-island-resorty.

But still. Being back at the beach last weekend reminded me of how the idea for water-wing-wearing Annie was sparked. It's amazing how scary moments in life serve a purpose, even if only a plot idea for a book.

Ever wonder how beach lifeguards rescue people? Feel free to ask! While being rescued I basically memorized everything. Somehow I knew I'd need the information for later ;)

Oh, and by the end of my book? Annie is a very awesome swimmer.


No comments:

Post a Comment