Thursday, July 23, 2015

DC in a Deluge

Item #5 on my Summer Bucket List is now complete. I came, I went, and I visited DC.

With my two other adventurers.


Getting to DC and parking was a whole adventure in itself. The friend who was going to do the driving canceled, so that left me behind the wheel. Have I ever mentioned how much I dislike driving? But I was determined! So at 6:30 AM, off we went. Suffice it to say, there were a lot of road closures--but we made it to Union Station Parking Garage.

Then the real adventure began.

We took the metro to get us closer to the Jefferson Monument (less walking the better!). I've never been to the Jefferson Monument and it was well worth the walk. Quiet, peaceful, and right on the Tidal Basin. If you've never been, I highly recommend it. Bring a book and a snack. GREAT place to hide away and read.


Minutes after we left the Monument, the sky let loose a rainstorm. Silly optimistic me left my umbrella in the car. Hello, walk in the rain! Thankfully the sun came out afterward and we were able to dry off before we entered the Air and Space Museum. Though my hair never quite recovered.


We didn't stay in Air and Space for too long. One because I'm not the most avid exhibit visitor/reader (though my friends are!). And two because of this...


The highlight of the trip, for me, was definitely the Library of Congress. The architecture was amazing--the very feeling in the place was amazing. If you love books, go. You will be inspired beyond anything! Found a sentence in the ceiling that made me smile--only because it's so true!

The chief glory of every people arises from its authors.

What do you guys think? ;)

Some more pictures of the Library of Congress, because it's that fantastic.



Overall, the trip to DC was a success! Lots more left to do before the summer's out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment