Thursday, May 19, 2016

The Little Things

This past weekend I went with my mom to buy flowers for her front yard planters. 

While we were exploring the Amish greenhouse, we noticed a pot that had been knocked over, a seedling abandoned on the ground. I was going to walk by it, but my mom stopped. She proceeded to right the pot, scoop soil back inside, and ease the seedling back in place. 

I was in awe (though, I'm usually in awe of my mom so this was no freak occurrence). That simple act of stopping to rescue something as menial as a plant speaks volumes about her caring nature. A nature I long to replicate.

The same principle can be tied into writing. Is there a character that's horrendous, but you need the audience to sympathize with her? Have her do a small act of kindness. It doesn't matter what it is. Readers will be won over. I can say that from experience!

And just a quick shout out, because she reads all these posts and works so hard...

Thanks, Mom, for all you do. I love you!




post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment