Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Classics Challenge: "Gone With the Wind"

Wow.

Okay, so guess what? 1,037 pages later...

I finished "Gone With the Wind." Surprised? Me too! Last update I swore I wouldn't finish it. But then last weekend happened. I planned to spend the day editing. Instead I read "Gone With the Wind" for almost twelve hours. I hit Scarlett and Melanie's flight from Atlanta as the Yankees closed in--and I couldn't stop

There were moments that I didn't like Scarlett. I mean, let's be honest. She's really selfish. And because of that she misses a lot of things. And by a lot of things... I mean a lot. But I still enjoyed her as a character. She wasn't afraid to get things done
.
And the chemistry between Scarlett and Rhett? Goodness! I could stand Scarlett being cold in her marriage to Charles and Frank. She didn't love them. But I couldn't stand her when she didn't realize that Rhett Butler was achingly in love with her! Okay, I also didn't like how she treated her children.
 
But mostly Rhett.

Oh, Rhett and Scarlett! There's so much to say about them. But it all comes down to one thing: COMMUNICATION. These two were so prideful that they failed to communicate their love for eachother. Which led to Rhett's famous line at the end...

Speaking of the end, everything went crazy around page 990. People were dying, realizations were made, hearts were breaking... In regard to "hearts," I don't think it's over. Not by a long shot. Scarlett, as she herself claimed, has gotten any man she sets her sights on. Even though Rhett has left her, he doesn't stand a chance!

 
Rhett & Scarlett Butler Forever.

Also, fun fact. Did you know that there's a sequel to "Gone With the Wind?" All right, Margaret Mitchell didn't write it, but her estate paid another writer to pen it. The title is "Scarlett."
 
And I've already requested it from the library.


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment