Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Classics Challenge: Mid-Month Update

It's March 15th already. Can you believe it? I can't! I feel like February owned the calendar just yesterday.

Lucky for me, unlike PRIDE AND PREJUDICE, I am halfway through THE GREAT GATSBY at this point. Which, okay, isn't hard. The classic is the shortest on the list and not even 200 pages long.

Let me start by saying, I've never seen any of the many movies made after this book. So I'm going in with a totally fresh and empty-slated mind. What are my thoughts so far?

The men in this book are jerks. And the women are idiots. Adultery and heavy drinking is a huge part of this book which is really aggravating. Squeeze your eyes shut if you don't want a spoiler, because I'm about to go on a rant.

Ready?

Okay. 

Nick is the narrator of THE GREAT GATSBY. His cousin is Daisy. Her husband is Tom.
Tom goes out with Nick one evening and what do they do? Visit Tom's married lover and have a mini party at her apartment! 


Sheesh, Nick! Where is your loyalty to your cousin? Come on!

It gets worse. Tom's "lover" mouths off against him and what does Tom do? HE BREAKS HER NOSE.

Yes, you read that right. I instantly hated every single person in that apartment for taking Tom's abuse in stride. Nick didn't even bat an eye at this. It might've had something to do with the fact that he was incredibly drunk. But still.

Honestly, the only characters I'm invested in at this point are Daisy and Gatsby. Daisy because she's a literal spot of sunshine in the book. Gatsby because he's a mysterious man who's desperately in love.
And who doesn't like a man in love?


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment