Thursday, March 24, 2016

Bookish Nostalgia

Why do the books we read as kids still hold a magic sway over us today?

Maybe it's the familiarity they provide, or maybe they're a physical reminder of simpler days and sweeter times. Either way, there are stacks of books that hold a special place in my heart. Today I'm going to share five of them with you, and a bit about why they're so special.

Ready? Here we go...


"Chicka Chicka Boom Boom" by Bill Martin, Jr.

I don't know what kid (at least who grew up in the 90's) that didn't read this book and love it. If I ever have kids, this will be a staple on our bookshelf!


"Caps for Sale" by Esphyr Slobodkina

No idea how this book was introduced to me (probably by my wonderful parents). But I loved it as a kid, and I love it now. Such a creative, fun idea for a children's story!


"The Three Robbers" by Tomi Ungerer

This book wasn't originally introduced to me as a book. I actually first watched an animated short of "The Three Robbers," which can be found here. To be honest, I've never read the book, but the animated version is straight from these pages... So I think it counts. Warning. It's kind of a weird story.


"Dealing with Dragons" by Patricia C. Wrede

My dad found this book for me when I was just breaking into chapter books. It's an amazing series for young girls, and I loved it (and still love it) desperately. I dutifully introduced it to my younger sisters.


"Green Rider" by Kristen Britain

The library in my middle school was a magical place. There were so many books packed into the enormous space. I could've spent all of homeroom there. It was among these shelves that I discovered two of my pre-teenage-hood favorites, "Green Rider" being one of them (and the book below being the other). Ms. Britain is stilling writing "Green Rider" books today. There's about a 3-6 year gap between them. So, in a way, I've grown up with these books. Which is so cool. I'm eagerly anticipating the next installment!


"Lirael" by Garth Nix

This book terrified and exhilarated me at the same time! Walking dead controled by bells? A dangerous library with monsters sealed inside rooms? An outcast girl becoming friends with a talking "disreputable" dog? Yes, please! I still love this book to this day. Though I don't get scared quite so easily.

Do you have any childhood favorites that are near and dear to your heart? Give them a shoutout in the comments!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment