Thursday, December 3, 2015

The Writer's Raincloud

Every once in awhile I get what I now call The Writer's Raincloud. Like this week, for example.

What is The Writer's Raincloud? Allow me to illustrate:

It's this:


And this:


And also this:


Get my drift?

In non-gif format, The Writer's Raincloud is period of time where you (a writer) feels like:

1. There is no point to writing; the odds of being successful or even getting published are tinier than--well, you're too melancholy to be creative enough to think of something "tinier than."

2. All of your books are terrible. Awful, even.

3. There are so many amazing novels and novelists out there, you're just a sneeze at a concert.

What triggers The Writer's Raincloud? Maybe a mental recovery period from NaNo-ing? Or the realization that tons of work (editing and query-writing lies ahead)? I have no idea. I just know it takes awhile to get over.

And that's okay.

Though my mental timeline had me start editing this week, I'm going to push it off until my fervor returns. That's what writing is supposed to be after all: fun! 

Once my self-esteem recharges, I know it will be again


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment