Thursday, December 17, 2015

Christmas Traditions

"Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel." ~Isaiah 7:14
Christmas day is fast approaching. The radios have been blasting Christmas-y songs. "Just hear those sleigh bells ring-a-ling..." Christmas presents have been purchased--or are still being purchased--and wrapped. And, most importantly, the story of Jesus' miraculous birth is proclaimed in the form of sermons, nativities, and music.

It's truly the most wonderful time of the year.

Especially for my family! The Layne Family has lots of much-anticipated traditions throughout the month of December. 

In honor of the season (and the reason), I figured I'd deviate from my normal writerly posts and dish on a few of my family's favorite traditions. You don't mind, do you?

1. Decorating. We're not too specific on the when of decorating. Sometimes we manage the beginning of December or the middle (this year we had everything up before December, woot!). But four things are always the same. We put up our nativity scene, stockings, my mom's Christmas village, and then the Christmas tree. Decorating the tree is filled with laughter and reliving memories. This year I did a timelapse!

2. Baking. Usually we only manage to squeeze this in a few days before Christmas, but this year we were on top of it! Just this weekend my talented sister Becky whipped out her mixer and helped us make delicious gingerbread cookies (a new tradition!). Sugar cookies are next on the menu!


3. Chinese Food. That's right. Christians buying Chinese food for Christmas. This has been a Christmas Eve tradition for as long as I can remember. Maybe it comes from my dad's Jewish heritage, or maybe it's because Chinese food is inexpensive, yummy, and open on Christmas Eve. Either way, we love it. This year we're going to try a healthier, half-homemade alternative. I make a mean fried rice, guys!

4. "The Nativity Story." This is probably one of the most emotional moments of the Christmas season. With Chinese on our plates and snuggled on the couch, we watch "The Nativity Story," a adaptation of the story of Mary and Joseph. 

5. Exchanging Gifts. Christmas morning! After my dad reads us a portion of scripture, it's time for presents. Since the days of Santa are long past (my youngest sister being 15), my family has started a new tradition. We all buy gifts for each other. My parents have always done this, but now us girls have hopped on the bandwagon. The best part is the anticipation leading up to and the excitement when the recipient tears open the wrapping paper! I'm super excited for my sisters' and parents' gifts this year!


So, those are a few of my familial Christmas traditions. What about yours?


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment