Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Momentary Setback

In case you've noticed (or in case you haven't), writing hasn't been a huge topic around the blog lately. Mostly because I haven't been doing much of it. 

After I completed SECOND-HAND SCAVENGERS, I hit a major rut. We're talking at least six feet deep here. It wasn't a "writer's block" rut. I'm not going to be writing for awhile--I've got too many books waiting to be edited!

I've been extremely (and quietly) discouraged. I've questioned question my talent, ideas, and if my voice even needs to be heard.

The thing is, guys, my books are just a few in a infinite shelf of books. 

Which led me to the inevitable: What's the point?


Since I crashed into this rut--more like a pit--I've stayed away from all things writing. Sometimes a break helps gain perspective. I am happy to say that I miss writing and my characters a lot. The time away also helped me come to one major conclusion as to my down-in-the-dumpsness.

I'm lazy.

Seriously! Part of what has me so "blah" is the fact that my books need major work. And I don't want to do it. I want them to be 101% perfect from idea to keystroke. Unfortunately I'm human, so they're not.

I'm working to get over this aspect. The "infinite shelf of books" thing? Well, that's something I'll just have to accept as part of the writing world.

Time to yank myself up by my hypothetical bootstraps and get to work.

If you're feeling discouraged about your work, here's a message just for you.

You can do it. Your voice matters. I want to read your story.




post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment