Thursday, December 31, 2015

Classics Challenge: "Little Women"

The end of the month is upon us, and I've finished "Little Women."

Actually, I finished the book in the middle of December, I've just waited to do this post.

If you've never read "Little Women" before, let me give you some quick facts in the form of Goodreads' summary:

"Classic novel of 19th-century family life during and after the Civil War, in a household with four sisters. Alcott based the March family largely on her own real-life family."

Furthermore, "Little Women" is broken into two parts: the girls' childhood and the girls' adulthood. I have to say, my favorite part was when the girls were younger. Something about them growing up and getting married felt very bittersweet to me. There was a great loss, as if I were losing cherished friends.

Okay, maybe I was tying in my own three sisters into this story. It was inevitable!

But aside from my personal sadness and disgruntlement, I really loved "Little Women." The story was so warm and inviting. Despite the poverty of the March family, they were rich in what truly mattered. The girls heralded distinct and enjoyable personalities. I found myself relating to each one of them in their own regard.

And Laurie, ah, Laurie! How could I not fall for the boy with sweet, endearing charm. I am still to this day (two weeks after finishing) still displeased he didn't end up with Jo. And I don't think I'll ever come to terms with the idea that he married Amy.


Oops--spoiler! Sorry.

Alas, my romantic heart had to settle for the much older Professor Baer for Jo. At least I was prepared for this, having seen the movie.

Ah, the movie vs the book. The century old debate. Which was better?

The book--obviously!

Other than that, December is over and January is blowing in. Up next, Wuthering Heights!



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment