Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Finish Faster

Writing a book is a long endeavor. It's common knowledge that a novel takes years and years to write and perfect.

Yet what if it didn't?

When I first started writing, my books took years to write. Not to mention edit.

Then I cracked the code and completed my fifth book in less than two weeks. Thirteen days, to be exact.

How did I do it, you wonder? Well, lucky you. I'm going to give away my secrets.

http://cf067b.medialib.glogster.com/aferditaaa/media/26/26370ba52e00629dd2c4e9c8fcaeb0ef9ffc3b14/s2-favim-com-orig-28-chibiusa-chibiusa-tsukino-kawaii-sailor-chibi-moon-sailor-moon-favim-com-232823.gif

It's actually a rather simple process and involves one word. PLAN.

Before I start writing, I plan everything. I figure out my main characters, what makes them tick. Then I move on to plotting. I write out a detailed outline from start to finish (keep in mind, this is flexible. I'm allowed to change it while writing if I feel the need). Finally, I set a goal and keep track of it. There are a lot of different options available to track your word count. I use an app on my phone and update it every day. Find one that shows you how many words per day you have to type to reach your goal.

One important thing to consider before you start writing: get accountability partners! Post your goal to social media or tell a friend.

All in all, using this method, I spend about two-four weeks plotting and about two-four weeks writing. It works.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment