Thursday, February 12, 2015

Yeah, Not Happening

Every week day I set a goal for myself: write 5,000 words. I've been doing awesome (if I do say so myself) keeping that word count. A week and a half of writing and 40,000 words! Talk about on a roll.

And then yesterday happened.


It was a struggle just to get my fingers to type. I worked through it, I did. I managed to get halfway to my goal, 2,500 words, before I quit.

At first I was aggravated at myself. I thought the following (plus many more):

"Emily, you're a full time writer. This is your job. You can't just not write."
"A week and a half of success and now this? You LOSER!"
"I really don't like you."
"You're a horrible person."


Yeah, my mind is a very volatile place to be. Then I sat down to write today. Let me just tell you... WOW! The words are flowing so much better, and I'm so much happier with my book.

Which is why there are times that you just need to stop. Whatever your doing, whether it be writing, studying, cleaning, whatever. Take a step back and a short break. The completion of a job is not worth a burnout and a less-than-optimum end product.

No comments:

Post a Comment