Thursday, October 30, 2014

Where Do You Go?

Writing takes intense concentration.

Broken up by frequent visits to FacebookTwitter, and Pinterest. Some people call this procrastinating. I like to think of it as... staying up-to-date.

                                      

Back back to my original statement. Writing takes intense concentration. And as NaNoWriMo season approaches (T-minus TWO DAYS!), I'm contemplating how to sink into that "zone." C'mon, you know what I mean. The magical place where the outside world vanishes, and you're totally submerged into the world of your book.

There are many ways people achieve that kind of focus, and they're different for each person. For me, I've found three things that boost my concentration.

1. Having a dedicated writing area. When I sit down at my desk, I know I'm going to be doing something writer-related. Immediately that gets me in the right frame of mind.


2. Being comfortable. Yes, this usually involves pajama pants and slippers. Nothing's more aggravating than trying to imagine a scene and that tag in the back of your t-shirt is playing a game of indian burn with your neck.

                                       

3. Force, by any means necessary. I'm a procrastinator. I'm also lazy and at times very unmotivated. So I have to force myself to write. This is why I love NaNoWriMo so much. It shoves me into writing mode. Every. Single. Day. Rewards are also great motivators. Like if I keep ahead on my word count, on Monday I'll be reworded with a sandwich, chips, and the latest episode of Sailor Moon Crystal. It seriously works.

                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment