Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Writer's Block Cure-All

Do you guys remember a few posts ago wherein I discussed a certain problem I was having? (That particular post is here)

Well, I've found the cure to my atychiphobia, lazy, uninspired episode. And I'm going to share it with you. It's surprisingly easy and only involves three steps.

1. Get away from your writing. No, seriously. Don't even look at it. You know the adage "distance makes the heart grow fonder"? Well it's true. As far as your novels are concerned, anyway.

2. Take a trip to your library (or bookstore) and read something out of the status quo. In my case, it's classics (*cough*Classics Challenge*cough*). Reading Wuthering Heights got my mind off one of my greatest weaknesses: low writerly self-esteem. Unintentionally, with every YA book I pick up, I compare my skills, ideas, and characters to another writer's. Reading something out of my genre (and century!) let me really enjoy the story. And I got a break from questioning my writerly worth.



3. Reevaluate why you're writing. Without a clear goal, it's easy to get off track. I'm writing for two reasons: to glorify God and to share my stories with the world. One day I'd love for my novels to be cherished and reread over and over again. A girl can dream, right?

...And that's it! 

Three simple steps that involve nothing too drastic. Trust me, they make a world of difference. I'm 100% ready--okay, 98% ready--to jump into my stories and give them the effort and love they deserve.

How about you?


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment