Thursday, January 14, 2016

Mid-Month Update: "Wuthering Heights"

I've been super excited to write this post. Why? Well, I couldn't keep reading "Wuthering Heights" until I updated you guys, and I stopped at a really pivotol moment for the suffering characters in Ms. Bronte's story.

Hopefully from those few sentences above you can guess what this blog post is going to be about...

In case you can't read between the lines, I'll spell it out.

I'm LOVING "Wuthering Heights." 

Which is really, really interesting to me because when I put it on the Classics Challenge list, I didn't expect to like it. In fact, I didn't even know what the book was about other than a vague awareness of brooding Heathcliff and "his" Catherine.

Oh, boy! This novel is bursting with insedoius plots, ill-begotten romance, and the good kind of frustration. I love it.

Of course, if you asked me WHY I like "Wuthering Heights" so much, I might not be able to tell you. There's just something scandalous and dark lurking between the finely crafted sentences. With not previously watching movie to spoil the ending (ahem, "Little Women..."), I can't help but rush toward the last page to see how everything plays out.

SPOILER ALERTS BELOW. READ AT YOUR OWN PLOT-RELATED PERIL.

I despise Heathcliff. Like seriously. The only literary character I might have disliked more than him might be Professor Umbridge. Or other archetypes of that ilk. UGH! He's just such a nasty, selfish, INSANE person.

Unfotunately I can't view him as the "villian" I'm sure he's intended to be. All I can think about it a Klondike Bar...
Ms. Bronte has pulled off the multiple POVs splendidly and the alternating timelines without causing confusion. I can't wait to jump back into "Wuthering Heights" and see if Heathcliff is successful with his revenge, or not...

I'm seriously hoping for the "not," but seeing how the book starts, things don't look good.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment