Thursday, November 12, 2015

Pantsless for Words

Ahem. By "pantsless" I mean skirts and dresses. Not, well, you know...

Because of church and work I have a huge collection of dresses and skirts in my closet. Coincidentally more for summer than fall/winter. But I digress. 

In this video I discussed ways to get inside the mind of your main character. Well, today I'm doing some more of the same. Except in an extreme way.

Guys, wearing a dress/skirt every day takes some serious logistical planning. Way more than is involved with pants. Not only do I need to have a matching shirt and bottom, but there are tights and shoes to think about. Everything must tie together!


To be honest, it's been a lot of fun. It's opened up my outfit creativity in ways wearing jeans hasn't. I don't even miss wearing pants. I've actually kind of fallen in love with leggings. I need to get more in my closet (and the tops that go with them). But that's another story...

If you're wondering if this style change has helped me understand Jane (my MC) any better, the answer would be a resounding YES.

Not only do I know how to write her movements (there are just some things you can't do in dresses), but there's a greater feeling of femininity sans pants. Jane's voice is able to fly from my fingers, loud and clear.

But the skirts/dresses isn't where it ends. I've donned my glasses too (Jane wears glasses, fyi). At times I feel like it makes me look more artsy and smart. Other times I swear it enhances the size of my nose... The sacrifices I make for writing.


It's so much fun guys. If you're participating in NaNoWriMo, or just writing in general, I highly recommend getting into character in whatever ways you can. Sometimes, it's fun to slip into another personality.

Just don't stay there!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment