Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Idea to Pages: Let the Plotting, Begin!

Emily Layne's Steps to Write a Book:

Step One: The Inspiration & Jewelry
Step Two: Prepping My Muse
Step Three: Building My World (Part 1 & Part 2)
Step Four: Let the Plotting, Begin!


Ahh! At last! After starting this blog series on July 9, 2015, I've finally hit the all important stage of plotting. That statement should answer the question: Is Emily a plotter or a pantser? Not sure what a plotter or panster is

Click here.

Plotting is probably one of the most complex parts of the Idea to Pages process (other than actually writing). In this step I'm determining the direction of the story, the characters, and the plot. If a story moves too slowly or the action seems contrived, this is where I need to fix it. Because, if not?

70,000 words later, after my book is written, I'll have a lot of editing to do. I know this from experience. Though I can see the fun of pantsing, it results in way too much work for me down the road. Plotting gives me security, direction, and keeps me from having to tear my story to shreds.

Though my plotting time is very limited for SECOND-HAND SCAVENGERS. I've got until October 31st. Why is Halloween my deadline, you wonder. Well, this year I'm participating in NaNoWriMo a.k.a. National Novel Writing Month. It's going to make things a bit crunched for time, but I'm looking forward to the challenge.



Now if someone will just buy me NaNo's winner's t-shirt to give me even more motivation. My birthday is coming up, you know!


The Final Step: Wading In!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment