Thursday, November 20, 2014

Too In Love

I've entered different territory in the sequel I'm writing. The first book hinted at a romance between my two main characters. This second one cements it and makes them a "couple," so to speak. I have to say, it's super fun to write. Yes, I am a huge romantic.

                                         

The one thing I'm wary about is making it too over-the-top. I'm not writing a romance novel, but a young adult retelling of a classic. A touch of romance is great, but a cup full would be overdoing it.

                                        

Which is why I ensure there are different types of relationship in my book, and that the romance aspect isn't the most important one.

There are close friendships.

                                        

There are enemies.

                                        

There are people who were once in love,  but were driven apart by twists of fate.

                                       

There are individuals who plainly don't like each other, but work together for a common goal.

So as you're writing, check yourself. Make sure more than one type of relationship maintains dominance in your story. Don't be like those TV shows where the couple finally gets together and everything gets boring.

Happy Writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment