Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Ouch, That Hurt

Finishing your book is awesome.  The feeling of euphoria when writing that last line? Ah! Just thinking about it makes me shiver.

And editing. Editing's pretty cool. Tweaking here, adjusting there. Pounding that lump of clay until it actually looks like a young adult twist on Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Or whatever your book happens to be about.

Then the beta readers swoop down with their red pens and opinions.

                                   http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Oz-Great-Powerful-Wicked-Witch-Spoilers.gif

That dialog you thought was so clever?

Ah-ah. Sorry, it doesn't make sense or jive with the character's personality. 

The grammatical errors you thought you suffocated with spell check?

Sorry, again. "Passed" and "past" are not the same thing.

Okay, so your beta readers probably aren't so blunt and annoying. But their job is still the same: critique/tear into your manuscript. And it hurts. A LOT.

I've entered this stage of the writing process. Let me tell you: ouch! Last night I passed out my Draft 1 Version of Underland to my sisters. Minutes later they found a missing word. Then an hour later a grammatical error.

Yes, they're being incredibly helpful by telling me.

YES, IT MAKES ME WANT TO RIP MY HAIR OUT EVERY TIME THEY DO!!!! Internally, of course, because I like my hair. Instead I kind of just sit and glare.

                                   http://www.xclusivetouch.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/angry-glee-blonde-break-up.gif

Then  I snap out of it and realize what they're saying is much needed criticism. My problem is that I take it so personally. Even something as simple as a typo.

Which is why every time I receive a comment I don't like I do the following:

1. Take a deep breath
2. Take another deep breath
3. Let it all out
4. Smile and say "Thanks so much, please just write that down for me"

Honestly, it's easier said then done, but I'm working on it.

A writer has to be humble and willing to accept criticism if he wants to improve. So that's what I'm doing.

A. Little. At. A. Time.

                  Moving slowly towards. the heart of all you funnyjunkers.. im comin for that booty

Rome wasn't built in a day, you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment