Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Killing Me Slowly: Queries

If you've ever written a query, you know how painful they are. Summarizing your 80,000 word book in 250 words is no easy feat. Plus you have to make it interesting!

Ugh.


Nonetheless, I spent last week working on my query for Underland. Which put me in a terrible mood.

                              http://collegetimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/tumblr_inline_mgzj6hIFc31rrc78e.gif

Which is also why I didn't do a blog posts.

The words were not flowing. At least, not the way I wanted them to. So I turned to the Internet, the familiar of writers all over the world. I typed in "examples of successful queries," and boy did I get a lot of results! Mixed feelings at this. Yay, success! Boo, my query sucks!

                                       http://www.all-the-news.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/8405c__post-17148-to-the-internet-gif-squirrel-p-0aX9.gif

But I didn't give up. I kept reading and writing and taking frequent breaks to mope. Not the best method, I know. Though, through the negative bits, it was a learning experience that I can now pass on to you. And lucky you, you get only the positives...

How To Write a Query Letter (According to Emily Layne):

1. Don't look at your book for awhile (this way you'll only remember the important parts).
2. Read examples of successful queries on Query Shark and Agent Query Connect.
3. Write your entire query before you go psycho-analytical on it.
4. If you start to get frustrated, take a break.
5. If you really like your query and think it's perfect, take a break.
6. Give it to someone to review. A lot of websites offer free query critiques.
7. Edit then let it lie for a few days.
8. If you read it again and like what you see, you're ready to hook an agent. Good luck!

A long list, I know. But a query letter is the most important thing you'll ever write--besides the manuscript of course. Except the only way your MS will see the light of an agent's eyes? That's right, your query.

                                  http://media.tumblr.com/e1666c0db3699f8d3d2195b75efeef46/tumblr_inline_mvo83nuCwU1rvtqpl.gif

So take the time, and make sure it's perfect!

Oh! And don't forget about my contest going on. A $15 gift card to Barnes & Noble could be yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment