Tuesday, July 26, 2016

First Lines

The blank page is a challenge. First lines, even more so.

Despite the best plotting I can muster, by the end of my edits, my first lines are never the same. This applies to every single (seven!) book I've written. 


Since I'm working on editing THESE WICKED WATERS for my agent (final round, we hope!), I thought it would be fun to share all of my first lines. To my surprise, there were six different versions. Most of them are similar and some not so much. Number 6 is the "final" version that is currently in my manuscript.

1. "The stories should've kept Mom away."

2. "When Mom bought the island investors called "cursed," I figured she wanted a challenge."

3. "When Mom bought the island rational investors called "cursed," I figured she was hungry for a challenge."

4. "The mysterious disappearances and unexplained drownings should've kept Mom away from the island."

5. "Color me cliche, but for a "cursed" island I expected some dense fog, a bubbling volcano, and a gnawed skeleton-or two-stretched across the beach."

6. "For a "cursed" island I'd expected dense fog and gnawed skeletons stretched across the beach."

Do you have a favorite? Even still, I'm not sure which one is absolutely perfect. Though that's the struggle with writing, nothing is ever absolutely perfect!



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment