Thursday, July 28, 2016

Classics Challenge: "Lord of the Flies"

Oh, boy. Wow. 

Let me just start my saying that if a bunch of girls were stranded on an island, I think things would've been very different.

I mean, the first things the boys do is strip and go swimming! The most logical one was Piggy (which is obviously not his real name) and then later Ralph.

Things start off well enough for the boys. They have a lazy system working. But as days pass, everything falls apart. No one listens to the rules, everyone forgets about keeping the fire that will get them rescued except a small few, and hunting becomes the preferred activity.

I'm not going to go through each plot point with you. Partly because I don't remember them (the book was kind of confusing) and partly because I don't want to relive it. LORD OF THE FLIES disturbed me.


Three boys died in this book (at least, as far as we know). Two were murdered. My favorite character, Simon, was the first to be killed by his comrades. Or, rather, beaten to death shall we say. And he was running to inform everyone about the "monster."

And they killed him.

More than anything about the book, Simon's death bothered me most. I can't get it out of my head.

It makes me so angry!

Ugh!

Suffice to say, I would not recommend this book to anyone looking for a good classic. In fact, I'd advise you to stay very, very far away!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment