Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Stages of Editing a Book

I feel like I've been editing THESE WICKED WATERS for as long as the sirens in the book have been alive. (*hint*: it's centuries)

As I've been slogging through paragraph after paragraph, making some tweaks or huge overhauls, things have been interesting. There have been high points (where I'm moving through with lightning speed) and low points (where I flop on top of my sister who's trying to study and demand for her to pay attention to me).

Which is why I'm devoting this post to my editing adventure--in fun gif-form. Prepare yourself!

Finding typos you can't believe you missed.


Reading a scene where you didn't have to make any changes (so, so rare).


Stumbling upon a plot device that makes absolutely no sense.


Realizing halfway through that you tried to query this book.


When laziness strikes and all the words blur together into, "Blah, blah, blah..."


When you're convinced that this book stinks, and there's nothing you can do to salvage it. In fact, you're never going to be published. EVER. 


But then you remember that you love the characters.


And that this book is worth it.


Happy editing!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment