Thursday, April 7, 2016

A Deadline is Anything BUT Dead

I'm just going to come out and say it: Writers are infamous procrastinators. 

The thought process goes something like this:

"I really need to write my book..."
*Notices a t-shirt is out of place in drawer*
"Hmm."
*Commence reorganizing entire bedroom*

And this is just one example. Writers have an amazing super power to do everything but write. I can say this because I am a writer.

So, how to conquer this age-old nemesis? 


Easy. Enter in THE DEADLINE.

For some people, this deadline involves a certain acronym that rhymes with RaRoTiSo.

...Okay, it's NaNoWriMo. In fact, Camp NaNo is going on right now, and it's really helping me to get motivated on my THESE WICKED WATERS edits. Well, that and an upcoming trip to RI (I want to have my book totally edited so I can listen to/read it in the six hour car ride).

But if it's not NaNoWriMo season, no problem! Pick a reasonable date for yourself and TELL PEOPLE. This way, you're accountable. Or if you have a pride problem like me, you won't even need to tell people because you're always in a competition against yourself.

Yikes.

Seriously, though. If you're struggling to write, plot, edit, make dinner--it doesn't matter. Set a deadline for yourself, and you'll find things moving along rather quickly.

Good luck!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment