Wednesday, November 9, 2016

A Conservative in a Community of Liberal Writers

Typically, my blog posts are reserved for Tuesday's and Thursday's, but after witnessing the aftermath of last night, I felt the need to bump up my schedule.

I never thought I'd write a post like this. Or that I'd witness such hate and foul language flashing across my Twitter feed from authors whose books I have loved, whose work ethic I have respected, and whose success I have admired.

Our nation is under attack. Not from outside forces, but by me and you. I am a Conservative, a Christian, and the daughter of a Lieutenant Colonel in the U.S. Army. I love my nation, my God, my fellow Americans.

And I voted for Donald Trump.

And, according to many, because I chose the candidate who best represented my political views, I am now labeled: a sexist, a racist, a bigot, and other foul things not worth repeating. And I'm furious.

My beliefs cannot be further from the above. For my God commands, "Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself." Mark 12:31.

Therefore, as challenging as it is, yet using Jesus Christ as my example...

I love you, men and women who are slandering me.

I love you, men and women who are angry and hurt that their candidate wasn't chosen.

I love you, men and women who are disrespecting this sacred nation by dishonoring the man who was chosen as our future leader and president.


And I forgive you for hurtful words and assumptions. 

It rained where I live today. In film and novels, rain is often used as a metaphor for "wiping the slate clean" or depicting "a fresh start."

Let's endeavor to do this today, whether we're Republicans, Democrats, Independents...

Whether we're happy or demoralized with the results of the election...

Whether we feel we are being discriminated...

We have the power to change our country. But first, we need to change our view of each other. I'm challenging myself to do this, and I challenge you to do the same.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

God Bless.




post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment