Thursday, September 8, 2016

Hurry Up & Wait

As the eldest daughter of an officer in the U.S. Army, I've become familiar with the term "hurry up and wait." I often heard my dad describe the Army this way a kid. Back then I didn't know what the phrase meant. Now I do. And I also know that it applies to other areas of life. 

Like the publishing industry.

As a writer, I spent a little less than a year working on my book, wrote a query letter, and hurried to send it out (once it was deemed ready, of course). Then I waited.

And waited.

And waited some more.


A little more than a year after sending my first query letter, I have an agent (yay!) and we've made four passes through THESE WICKED WATERS for editing purposes. Now we're embarking on the pitching process (to publishers) which will involve, as you might've guessed, more waiting.

After I've hopefully signed with a publisher, gone through edits and other changes, more waiting lurks around the corner until my book is finally printed. Which, from date of publisher-signing could take anywhere from 1-2 years.

Crazy, huh?

Yet, in a way, it's also wonderful.

While the publishing industry involves a lot of hurry up and wait, there's opportunity in the waiting. Waiting offers time to savor, to prepare, to research. Or to work on an entirely new book!

Because of that, I've decided to twist the phrase. Instead of hurry up and wait...

Hurry up and wait, while savoring each moment

I hope you do the same!



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment