Thursday, September 15, 2016

Classics Challenge: Mid-Month Update

Back in high school, when classical reading was a requirement, I read a few of Robert Louis Stevenson's books. Think Kidnapped and Treasure Island. I loved both of them. I even bought Treasure Island for my personal bookshelf.

Because of this, I dove into The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde confident that, at least, I wouldn't hate it.

And I don't!


The book is incredibly short. In less than an hour I found myself halfway through. So I put it down to type up this midpoint update. I have to say I'm a little disappointed. Not in the story or anything. It's interesting the way Stevenson weaved together suspicions and oddities while adding the appropriate amounts of suspense!

No, I'm disappointed because I already know the ending. Popular culture has made it clear that Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (SPOILER!) are the same person. 

While it's fun to pick up on the clues scattered about the first half of the novel, it's not as compelling a read as it would be...

If I'd been left in the dark.



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment