Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Third Time's the Charm

For me, 2016 has been the Year of Editing. If it was like the Chinese Calendar, for every month, instead of an animal, picture a dripping red pen.

Since we're almost to July (I can't believe it!), I'm considering myself a Seven-Month Expert when it comes to book editing. And I've decided to share my tips with you.


If you couldn't tell by the title, there's only three. I like to keep things short, simple, but effective.

1. Go traditional. Edit on your computer first. Do all the major rewrites, sentence tweaking, and flow-fixing.

2. Audiobook it. There are a bunch of programs online where you can transform your words into audio--yay for the digital age! My favorites are the ones that you can download the mp3's and put them on your phone, iPod, what have you. Listen to your words aloud with a notepad (or the word doc) handy so you jot down thoughts.

3. Hardcopy, for the win! Printing your book out, or putting it on your Kindle/tablet is a great way to pick up final typos that you missed by going through #1 and #2. A post I did earlier shows how to get your book formatted for kindle. Or, if you have a tablet, keep it simple and open the document in MS Word, reader mode!

Happy editing!


p.s. I have an exciting announcement coming next Tuesday. Prepare to be blown away!!!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment