Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Hey There, Mon!

First, let me just say: IT FEELS SO GOOD TO BE HOME!

Warning, this post will have nothing to do with writing. Be forewarned.

As people promised me, the mission trip really changed my outlook and changed me. The conditions and kids I worked with probably had a lot to do with that. Let me paint a picture for you--with words.

The mission was based in Jamaica.


Hold on there, don't picture those pristine beaches and towering resorts. The only time I stepped on a beach was for a few minutes just to walk up and down it. The rest of the time was spent in out-of-the-way churches. One was in a swampy area with hard-packed dirt roads (and lots of rain-filled potholes). The other was high up in the mountains.



Yeah, cell phone reception and Internet was not an option. Verizon can only do so much.

I got very friendly with the mosquitoes. Apparently I'm so delicious, 40% Deet can't keep them away. I faced down heat accompanied by sunburn and swarming ants in my bed. I calmly handled a prank which involved red Kool-Aid streaming from my shower (yeah, I thought it was blood at first. Ugh). I faced my dirty bathroom phobia head on. The nicest bathroom I encountered while in Jamaica is pictured below. I basically fell in love with it.


The kids were the most exhausting bunch of children I've ever met, but a few of them snagged my heart. Serena who is only six, but acts like a mother toward her younger brother. Sierano who always said "please" and "thank you" and helped catch runaway children. Syon, super cute and smart, who loved my lamb craft. Damone with a penchant for sticking out his tongue and chewing on things not fit for human consumption, but helped me pick up my bags during a rainstorm.


I really understand now why my church supports such a mission. There is so much I could fill this blog post with on what happened in Jamaica last week, but I'm not going to bore you with the details. Know that it was a rewarding and eye opening trip that gave me a level of confidence in myself (in regards to handling kids) I didn't have before.


To God be the glory, great things He has done.


No comments:

Post a Comment