Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Ignore The 20%

Lately I've been talking about criticism. A lot.


Tired of it yet?

Though it's no wonder. I'm entering into the dreaded phase of writing known as "editing." All good writers are aware that to edit properly, beta readers are necessary. In fact, I got one of my first critiques back on Sunday night. As I mentioned a few posts ago, I always have mixed feelings when it comes to getting opinions back from people, even if they offer awesome ideas--which this one did!


Luckily I had a friend who responded to my annoying "Are you awake?" text. He's not a writer or even a fiction reader, so it may seem weird that I go to him for advice about writing matters. A quote from one of his texts will clear up any confusion.

After a message of mine complaining how difficult it is to have a job that requires honest opinions, he replied with the following.

"Remember whatever you do, 20% of the population will dislike you. That's the law of nature and [there's] nothing you can do to change it. The other 80% will love you. That's Pareto's Principle."

 His text made me think.


I get so defensive about my book when people critique it because I want everyone to like it--love it--as much as I do.

Hello, Emily, dearest, that's never going to happen. Just a glance at Goodreads' plethora of one to five star reviews is proof of that.

So, readers, writers, entrepreneurs of the world, as you venture forth into unknown (and critiqueable) territory keep Pareto's Principle in mind...

And ignore that silly 20%.

Check out my friend's website for more awesomeness. You know, if he ever posts anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment