Thursday, March 12, 2015

Don't Be My Critic

Whenever someone tries to give me advice or suggest a change, I pull a Sherlock.


After I'm finished being offended for a few hours, I reread the part they suggested a tweak and relent to their "rightness." My family knows I do this. In fact, Sunday my mom pointed it out to me while we were sitting on the couch going through my lesson plans for a missionary trip to Jamaica. She thought I should change a word. I thought I should keep it the same. "You're going to go back and change that later, aren't you?" she asked.


No comment.


It's safe to say I've got a pride problem, that's the only reason I'm so grumpy when people criticize me. It gets even worse when query writing approaches. I started that a week ago and my sister's response was, "Oh no! You're going to be so mean!" Yikes.

My inability to take criticism well is a flaw I need to work on. How? Other than forcing myself to swallow criticism with a smile and digest it later, I can't think of much else. Wish me luck! I'll be getting edits back on THESE WICKED WATERS soon. Then I'll be editing my query letter.

Not sure which is worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment