Thursday, March 19, 2015

Got Grease?

With one day until spring, I decided to add something new to my beauty regimen last night.


A coconut oil hair mask.

Because I'm an overachiever, I didn't wash out the oil after fifteen minutes. Instead, I secured a large hand towel around my head and left the oil in my hair overnight. My family commenced to giving me weird looks as I shuffled off to my bedroom. My dad dubbed me "Aunt Jamima" and asked for some pancakes at 5AM this morning, before he left for work.


Funny.

After washing the coconut oil out and letting my hair air dry as I did some cleaning (and procrastinated on book plotting, of course), I had a sneaking suspicion something was... off. I checked my mirror and found my hair super slick, super greasy looking. Since I'm actually going out in public today, I had a mini "oh my gosh!" moment. I attempted a fix with a rolled up bandanna headband. My bangs were so oily they stuck STRAIGHT UP.


Time for some damage control.

After some serious flexibility (no joke, after today I could entertain as a contortionist!), I managed to stick my head under my bath tub tap and re-shampoo my hair. While I lathered suds, I prayed this would wash the oil out of my hair.

Did it? Yes. What have I learned? Coconut oil is great for your hair--mine feels fantastic! But it also leaves a serious residue that just one shampoo won't cure.

I'm going to stay away from any out-of-routine beauty treatments for a little while.

A week, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment