Thursday, February 5, 2015

Everything & Nothing

How much do you know about rock climbing?

                                    

Well, there's free climbing, bouldering, aid climbing...

And that's just the beginnings of my gatherings from Wikipedia. Have I ever been rock climbing? Um, once, in a mall. When I was like nine.

Why am I talking about rock climbing? There's a point, I promise.

"Jack of all trades and master of none" describes a writer pretty well--at least me. In my latest book I've had to learn about marine biology, Greek myths, rock climbing, and how the NIS (Greek version of the FBI) works. You could say I know a lot.

                                       

You could also say I'm not an expert.

To write a realistic book, writers need to know the height and depth of their subject matter. Some of the famous (wealthy!) ones can even travel to the location of their story. How much would I like to travel so a resort island right now? VERY BADLY.

Unfortunately, for me, the Internet will have to do. 

                                        

Although most writers don't get the chance to become experts on the ins and outs of each of their character's passions, we make great dinner party conversationalists. When you can get us to leave our house, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment