Thursday, July 17, 2014

Not Anti-Social

Writers have to understand people. Their hopes, desires, frustrations, how they fall in love and out of it, greatest fears, etc. In essence, what makes them... real. So, in turn, we can apply those traits and depth to our characters.

We watch, observe, and remember. 

Then somehow in the world of stigmas and creative internet memes, writers got stuck with the "Anti-Social" stereotype. 

                                                       

Couldn't be farther from the truth. Okay, maybe we don't love parties, meeting new people, or being shoved into a new environment. But it doesn't mean we don't like it. After we're forced to go and then get to come home after thirty minutes.

                                       

In fact, I can't stress the importance of writers going places and doing things. Especially--take a deep breath!--new things.

For example, right now I'm sitting in a building on a community college campus writing this blog. I dropped my sister off at her microbiology class and am stuck waiting while she takes her final (good luck, Maddie!). Last time I dropped another sister (I've got three, haha) off to take a test, I hid in my car for two hours. 

                                        

I had a book, so it wasn't that bad...

Okay, okay, I get it. It was weird.

But I've realized how important people-to-people interactions are. So here I sit in a common area, typing away. Across from me are two guys discussing math, mixing swear words into a conversation of calculus. One is tilting back on his chair, tempting gravity and the other is attempting to multi-task, messing with his phone and talking. 

And of course, because a girl is int heir midst, they occasionally look over at me. Probably has a great deal to do with my really bad hair day, the fact I'm wearing jeans when it's hot outside and keep smiling at my computer screen (these gifs, guys...).

                                        

Maybe the college boys aren't the most obvious source of inspiration for my characters, but understanding human nature, the natural flow of communication and movement, will all weave together to form a novel full of depth and realism (as realistic as a story based off Alice in Wonderland can get!).

                                       

So, what are you waiting for? Get yourself to a coffee shop, a library. Or, if you need to start small, sit on your front porch. Watch and write.

But most importantly, write.

No comments:

Post a Comment