Thursday, July 3, 2014

Just Your Voice

“You can hang your head out the window, if you like.”
“I’m a werewolf, not a golden retriever." ~ Cassandra Clare

Ever get jealous of other writers' snark? The way their characters seem so real and unfairly hilarious? Maybe considered pulling an Ursula and doing some voice snatching?

                                        tumblr_mpn3pyyZXs1sop9loo1_500

Okay, maybe not that extreme. But still.

Writers compare themselves to other writers all the time. We're worse than a group of girls.


In fact, last weekend I was reading Michelle Krys' "Hexed" and was so overwhelmingly jealous. Her main character's (MC's) voice was so strong and wonderfully snarky. Self-doubt swirled in my mind. What if my MC's voice was too bland? Or what if she wasn't clever enough?

Cue descent into Hole of Worthlessness.

                                        

Then I made it tons worse by researching how long it took to publish a book the traditional way. But that's a topic for another post.

I eventually got over my despair of not being as snarky as Mrs. Krys. How? I came to this conclusion: we all have different voices when we write. Why? Because our characters are different. And we as writers are different.

If every writer's voice sounded exactly the same, what would be the fun of reading?

So pick your writerly self-esteem off the floor and straighten your shoulders. You've got an unique voice and a wonderful story to share with the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment