Thursday, December 1, 2016

Classics Challenge: A Year in Review

Wow. I can't believe I've come to the end of my Classics Challenge.

So many books have been read (and not read, unfortunately). I wanted to list my favorites...and not so favorites...to wrap up this blog series (seriously, has it really been a year?!).

Favorites:

Gone With the Wind


An obsession began after reading this book. I adore all things GWTW, especially the movie! Without this Classics Challenge, I doubt I would've found the motivation to put the huge book off my shelf. Now I own two copies!

Little Women

I'm counting this as a favorite because I'm leaving the ending out. I still don't like who Jo ended up with, and I probably never will! But the writing and sisterhood of the book was darling. As the oldest in a family of four girls, I think Little Women will always have a special place in my heart.

Didn't Finish:

Pride & Prejudice

A Tale of Two Cities

Lorna Doone

Jamaica Inn

Moby Dick

What can I say about these? Yes, a majority of the writers are British. But I don't think that had a huge impact considering Moby Dick was written by an American. These stories just lacked compelling characters and action (as they would say in GWTW, the character didn't have any gumption, at least not to me). I'll probably never pick these books up again. Especially Lorna Doone. Eek.

Not My Cup of Tea:

The Great Gatsby

The Lord of the Flies

The Time Machine

Is it a coincidence that all of these books start with "The"? I'm not sure. But I am sure that, though I finished these short books, I won't ever pick them up again. Each of them had their different quirks that didn't make them an enjoyable read. Most notably the violence that is The Lord of the Flies. I still don't like to think about it.

So-So:

Wuthering Heights

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

These books were okay. It wasn't a huge struggle to finish them, but I also probably wouldn't give them another read through or yearn to have a copy on my bookshelf.

Now...

Would I ever do another Classics Challenge? Sure! Just not anytime soon. I'm thinking 2018 or 2019. The required reading list was tiring! Especially forcing myself to read at times--which is something I've never had to do before.

This was a great experience though and opened my mind to different styles of writing as well as the human behind the writer. 

Meanwhile, I'm prepping for a massive blog series(because these are obviously becoming my new favorite thing)! Check back on Tuesday to see what it's all about.


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment