Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Mid-Month Update: "Little Women"

It's officially the 15th of December, which marks the halfway point of my Classics Challenge.

How's it going you ask?

Wonderfully! I'm right on track and enjoying every page. It's so embarrassing that I've owned Little Women for years and am just now starting to read it. Kid Emily must've thought classics were boring and dumb.

She was very, very wrong.

Mind you, I haven't reached the already spoiled, much debated Certain Someone love rejection *hint, hint*). So that might spoil things for me. We'll see.


Something I didn't know, when I first started, is that Louisa May Alcott wrote Little Women in two parts. The girls when they're young, for a span of about a year. Then there's a three year gap between sections. It made me sad that the March girls are growing up, but also excited to see what life has in store for them.

One of the things I love most about Little Women besides the four sisters (I'm one of four--the eldest. That'd make me Meg.), is that the book is so quotable. In fact, I've been blowing up my Facebook Page the last few days with Little Women posts.

But just for the sake of you and convenience, here are a few of my favorite short quotes:

"The more you love and trust Him, the nearer you will feel to Him, and the less you will depend on human power and wisdom. His love and care never tire or change, can never be taken from you, but may become the source of lifelong peace, happiness, and strength." 
“Love is a great beautifier.”
“Every few weeks she would shut herself up in her room, put on her scribbling suit, and fall into a vortex, as she expressed it, writing away at her novel with all her heart and soul, for till that was finished she could find no peace.” 
“When you feel discontented, think over your blessings, and be grateful.”
"The best of us have a spice of perversity in us, especially when we are young and in love." 
Have I convinced you to start reading yet? It's not too late. Go at your own pace! Take the entirety of 2016 to read Little Women. But you must, must, must read it!

Especially if you have little girls/sisters at home!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment