Monday, February 27, 2017

WOTP: Erynn Newman, Adult Author

To wrap things up in the agented writers on submission portion of the WOTP series, I have a very unique interview to share with you. Erynn Newman is a talented author who signed with an agent...

...But decided to self publish. Wondering why? Check out her story below!


To start on a personal note, can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

Hey, everyone. *waves* I’m Erynn Newman. I’m a thirty-mumbles-year-old wife/mom/author/editor from the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. I have a couple of opinionated kitties who help me get my writing done and a rambunctious three-and-a-half-year-old (halfs are really important when you’re three) that helps me NOT get my writing done.

 What is your “how I got my agent” story?

When I first decided I wanted to be a "real" writer, I asked the only writers I knew, "where should I go for information on how to do this?" And they all recommended Rachelle Gardner's blog. I pored over it, devoured every post, even printed some out to study them. She was my dream agent, but one I put soundly in the “unattainable” category.

So, of course, I registered for a conference she was attending, but I couldn’t get an appointment with her. Instead I got one with another agent who told me that my novel was "unsellable" and that I should just chalk it up to experience gained, put it in a drawer, and write something else.

But directly after that awful agent meeting, I volunteered to help with place settings for our lunch, and I just happened to note where Rachelle's table was, and find my way to a seat at it. She allowed everyone at the table to pitch, and she ended up asking for my full manuscript.

I sent my first novel to her and heard nothing for almost a year, not realizing that she wasn’t taking on fiction clients at the time. While I waited, I sent queries to four other agents, three of whom also asked for my full manuscript. And then I made friends with the one of Rachelle's clients over Facebook, and she agreed to put in a good word for me. Shortly after that I attended another conference where a well known writer took an interest in me and actually called Rachelle right there in front of me to basically say, “represent this girl, or I’ll find her someone else today.” And then . . . (insert several months of sheer agony and two more rejections) she called.

I guess the moral of that story is that actually meeting people can make all the difference. And that a little bit of friendly stalking doesn’t hurt either.

What novel landed you your agent?

My novel is entitled, Out of Darkness. It’s Inspirational Romantic Suspense.

When her husband is killed by a car bomb on their wedding day, Elisabeth literally watches her dreams go up in smoke.  Three years later, she’s beginning to figure out life without Drew—with the help of his best friend and CIA partner Gabe. But Drew returns, and they must rebuild what was lost with international arms dealers on their trail and an ever shrinking list of people they can trust. Gabe should be at the top of that list, but his feelings for Elisabeth may stand in the way. All three of them end up in a fight for their lives that will test their loyalty to God, country, and each other.

Tell us about the much anticipated and nerve-wracking “Call” with your now agent.

Well, after my author/mentor friend called her during that conference, she promised that she was still interested, so I was just waiting…and waiting…and waiting. And wondering if there was really a guarantee. Finally, I got an email asking if she could call. Once I said yes, and gave her a window, then it was just…more waiting. The call came while I was at work, and fortunately, I had an employer who was really supportive and let me run out the door to take the call. We talked some details. I asked the couple of questions I had written down, and then I said . . . “can I call you back?” And then I freaked out in the bathroom.

By this point, I was waiting to hear back from that one last agent that hadn’t said no, and nervous to say yes, and wondering if I was making the right decision. But pretty much as soon as I got off the phone, and called my author/mentor friend, I realized I had the option in front of me to sign with my dream agent, and that seemed like a no brainer, so I called her back pretty much immediately and said, “I’m sorry. Yes, please.”


Have you written/queried other books before?

I actually got my start in Fanfiction, and no, I won’t divulge my fandoms, so I’d written a couple of novel-length stories. And I worked on Out of Darkness off and on at the same time as two other novels until I decided it was the one I wanted to devote all my energy into publishing first.
So, no. It’s actually the first original novel I completed and the first I queried.

But I do have those other two still in the works. Another romantic suspense and a new adult romance.

What is the hardest part about being on submission?

If you’re beginning to detect a theme here, you’re absolutely right. It’s waiting. Always with the waiting. I think that’s actually the theme of traditional publishing at every step of the process—which is a small part of the reason I *plot twist* decided to go Indie. You know, that and being able to take back total control and make a larger percentage of profit.

What is the best part about having an agent?

I love having someone who knows the industry so well in my corner. She’s taken a step back since I decided to Indie publish Out of Darkness, but she’s still my cheerleader and still someone I can go to any time I have questions about decisions I’m making for my career.

And I’d be lying if I didn’t say that there’s part of me that loves the validation that someone I respect so much thought I was good enough. I still like referring to “my agent,” and pretending to be a big deal. *winky face*
  
How do you cope with waiting to hear back from publishers?

Honestly, the best thing I could do was try to forget about it. Just work on the next thing, so that when deadlines loom, you’ll have a head start. When that doesn’t work…ice cream.
  
Do you have any tips for writers who are querying?

Research, research, research. Only query agents who are actively acquiring (and contracting) your genre and who have established relationships with the houses you’re interested in working with.

And, truly, it really helps to meet people in person. Not just people who you think can help you, but other authors who will support you, mentors, industry professionals, and even authors come up behind you in the process. Helping other people is a good distraction. And the friends I’ve made in this industry are some of the biggest blessings along the journey.

So, what made you decide to go Indie instead of continuing the traditional route?

I waited a year for Rachelle, and then she shopped Out of Darkness for another year (during which time, I started a family and began focusing on editing instead of pursuing my own writing), and we got a number of responses along the lines of, “we love this girl’s writing. Does she have anything else?” One even suggested that she might be able to market my novel if I turned the best friend character into a villain (to make the reader less conflicted), but that very conflict is the heart of my story, and that wasn’t a change I was willing to make.

What it came down to is that my story isn’t an exact fit for the genre, so the houses I’d be interested in working with consider it (and me, as a debut author) an unknown variable. And no one really wants to take risks right now in traditional publishing. Rachelle offered to shop around with some of the smaller houses, but with what they have to offer, I felt like I’d be better off doing it myself.

As an editor, I’m working with scores (okay tens) of Indie clients who are coloring outside the lines all the time and making it work. They have the freedom to write the stories they love and the bravery to tackle it all themselves. So I’m stepping out with that same bravery—even though it’s super scary to me and not how I envisioned my publishing journey. I’m learning that things don’t always look the way we expect or want them to, but that’s part of the journey too.

Did you end up breaking things off with your agent?

​Ha! Almost. When there was no movement on my manuscript for a year, and I first thought about going Indie, I asked her if I needed to acquire my rights back from her or if she would take a percentage if I did decide to self publish, but she assured me that she would just step back and let me do it on my own. She's my official cheerleader (and sometimes guide), and who knows, maybe she'll be able to help me with International rights should I make it big and need to negotiate translations.​

It's so awesome you're an editor too! What services do you offer in case any readers are interested?

​I edit all kinds of fiction (but paranormal, urban fantasy, and speculative are my favorites). ​And I offer everything from proofreading to in-depth developmental. Line edits--just tweaking the language to put a shine on my clients' words is my favorite. Their voice with just a bit of polish. I love helping make their stories everything they've envisioned. 

You can check out my editing website and see the books I've helped make publish ready here: ALittleRedInk.com.

What an interesting experience! It's proof that there is no one way to get published. We all take different journeys--and that's what makes being a author so exciting!

To stay in touch with Erynn and her Indie exploits make sure to check out her:




post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment