Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Woops... I Forgot

While I was getting ready for work this morning, my sister, clad in PJs and sporting adorable bed head, whipped out her phone and declared, "You were talking in your sleep last night, and I wrote it down."

 
Apparently (though I will always deny it), I am a notorious sleep-talker. After sharing a room with me for seven months, my sister has finally caught on to this. And now, whenever I make the slightest mumble, she jots it down as a note in her iPhone.

Last night I said the following, "Oh my goodness. Oh my goodness. Oh my goodness! They really wrote on the basement walls, didn't they!?"

Cinderella sure got her song wrong. I don't want anyone writing on any walls. Especially not basement ones with who-knows-what. Yes, my mind immediately went to blood. I'm a pessimist with a dark imagination, so what?

                               https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhxoG4JXst2SlKCMU-EN5V7u5uw7dF3P9y1MWaX4jkC4uT_sO7kpE_jdihZguxhOgQeMy4ymIP-Z-dZKyn7Ima9KHPDcav9jQ_-unfWYedDlUYVXCUGaagXQsB-2j48LIKbciy2UO4rStQL/s1600/tumblr_lq9abvsKhH1qazx4ao1_r1_500.gif

Dreams are crazy things. Scientists still aren't quite sure why or how we dream. But we do. And dreams hold excellent ideas for writing a book.

In fact, my current WIP? You know, the twist on "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland"?

It all started from a dream. Not that the dream necessarily had anything to do with Wonderland. But it did have to do with crossing worlds and a debonair young man. Vampires and soul-stealers were also involved. Thankfully the idea went through quite a metamorphosis during plotting!


This isn't the only dream I've had that I thought would make a good book. Only, with most dreams, I forgot what they were about. Or, while daydreaming, I've thought up a great dialog line. But then started doing actual thinking and lost it. Even after I swore I was going to remember it. Five minutes later? Nothing.

Ever happen to you?

There is one cure: a journal. Whether it be a physical journal or an app on a smart phone... INVEST! Keep it close to you at nighttime to write dreams down. Carry it in your purse (or guys... a pocket, maybe?) to pull out when inspiration strikes.

So invest the $1.99 (or if you're feeling fancy, a bit more). It's immeasurably worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment