Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Plotting in Pants

Plotter or pantser, that is the question...


Okay, well I suppose the first question really is: What are plotters and pantsers?

Plotters are the prepared people in our world. They know exactly where they want their book to go and start the process by creating an outline. This all takes place before they even start writing.

                                    https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhIwWNbKVGtIVBDfi_wBX6Y6uGC4YLpn5WdiBEMq5Vhx4YvG0Kjwdo9MG38wA6nBprdUkhiDeJVhy67crvYFfkGkvk2YW7tfONbO0ohs9DPo10EdDuHNy3HBKmDLqG3Lx3twb-dgonuUtU/s640/co15.gif

Pantsers are a free spirited bunch, jumping in front of computer and working magic with their fingers. They've really no idea where the story is going to take them, but that's the fun of it! No plans, no destinations, just words, words, words!

                                        https://mbathenonprofitway.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/tumblr_n34grj2a0d1tnj0c4o1_500.gif

Any of this sound familiar to you? Are you a pantser or a plotter? Or maybe you fall in the grey area in-between. I like to call this location Plotting in Pants (PiP).

As I've developed my writing, I've figured out the best method for me. In my first book (which I rarely mention to anyone out of sheer embarrassment), I was a hard core pantser. I wrote without a plan... And it was a disaster.

Albeit at this time I was learning how the whole writing thing worked. It was a dark period in my life where I thought adverbs were like salt on fries, to be used generously.

                                     http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/4669147/ross-salt-shaker-o.gif

Not so much.

Because I know you're an understanding reader, I'll share the horrible first line of that book with you: "The bone-chilling water was absolutely excruciating." And what was my character doing? Jumping into a pool. An indoor pool. How cold could it seriously be? Not bone-chilling, for goodness' sake.

Ahem. Moving on.

So after that blunder, I thought I'd give plotting a go. For my next book, Bound, I plotted about half and then pants-ed (is that a word?) the rest. It went okay, but I wasn't entirely happy with the results.

Now for my third book, and current work in progress, I am making use of the my PiP method. I have outlined my entire book, only the outline isn't a prison, but more of a guide. I can't begin to tell you how helpful it's been when I've gotten stuck or forgotten where I want my story to go.

                                    http://mlatimerridley.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/a1e97-britney-confused.gif

Which happens more often than I'd like to mention.

But, in the end, your writing process is entirely up to you. Different methods work for different people. As you grow and experience through creating your books, you'll find the right groove.

                                   http://static.tumblr.com/2gqizu3/DiGma94n8/tumblr_m9mt2kmkff1qfr424.gif

The important thing, as always, is to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment